11/02/2020 by Ray Wiese 0 Comments
Trending Now: Steam Showers
Today, homeowners are opting for upgrades in renovating that provide more than comfort, we want to feel at home and escape to a brief, but needed refuge.
Steam rooms are providing one thing we can’t easily find at the gym any more or the comfort of a spa or masseuse. As temperatures cool down, steam showers are also a nice option to be able to bring your core body temperature right where you want it after a cold day or to de-stress in 15 minutes or less.
What goes into a steam shower that sets it apart from a typical shower? There is more than meets the eye (literally), and a few things you want to make sure happen in the space for this mini-retreat to give you the lasting joy of a quick or prolonged steam.
· Behind all that beautiful tile is the first important part, the substrate. Without a vapor proof under garment, steam showers and the attractive tile could prematurely fail. We love using the Schluter system because it creates a waterproof barrier and insulation. The ceiling in a steam shower needs to be pitched ever so slightly to allow most of the steam droplets to move away from the user. If this is a dedicated steam room, you will still benefit from adding a shower to assist in cleaning up, and it is also nice to add a bit of cool water for extended stays or to rinse before exiting. There will be a full glass enclosure and if height allows, a transom top is added to allow for air flow post steam. If this is going in a basement with lower ceilings, additional ventilation and leaving the door ajar is suitable.
· The cost differences from a standard shower to a steam shower will vary by size and include: improved substrate and waterproofing, the cost of the steam generator and installation, additional tile work, the added ventilation and full glass enclosure not typical of a standard shower. (Approximately $4k more).
We are not in the beauty, health, or science industry, but the benefits of a good steam are pretty compelling and widely-known. The benefits of steam rooms are often overlooked by many who see them as simply a way to relax and unwind. While steam rooms are known to relax both your body and mind, they also have many other benefits. In case you are on the fence here is a brief rundown:
1. The steam helps to clear skin impurities. It also helps to improve circulation throughout the body which can give the skin a healthy glow making your skin look and feel great.
2. The heat soothes your nerve endings and also relaxes your muscles.
3. Steam makes your body sweat. Sweating relieves the body of waste products, and it has been found that sitting in a steam room for approximately 20 minutes can rid the body of the day's sweat and waste products.
4. Relaxation from the warmth causes the body to release endorphin's and other 'feel good' chemicals that reduce the feeling of stress on the body. It is no wonder people feel rejuvenated and calm after they leave steam rooms.
5. Post-exercise muscles benefit from relaxation in order to promote rapid recovery. You can expedite muscle gain through this simple recovery process.
6. Heat from steam rooms opens and thins the mucus membranes all around your body and will help clear the sinuses.
7. The body’s capillaries dilate when they are exposed to the heat of the steam room which allows blood to flow freely and easily throughout the body, transporting oxygen to the areas of the body which needs it.
8. Our favorite part? It is quiet and no one will bother you for twenty minutes!